What’s in this Issue
- Phase Two 2022 CANIE Awards Applications & Nominations Open until July 25, 2022
- Announcing the Phase One 2022 CANIE Award Semi-finalists!
- UPS Article: Supporting Canadian Businesses During 2022’s Supply Chain Challenges
- Thank you for your support! The Great Canadian Giving Challenge
- Cupid’s Sting Hosts Hot Girl Summer Events, July 14th and July 16th, 2022. Ticket Here.
Hello and welcome to Innovators & Entrepreneurs Foundation (IEF) July Newsletter! We have a lot of exciting announcements and information to share with you this month.
Phase Two 2022 CANIE Awards Applications & Nominations
Our Phase Two 2022 CANIE Awards application/nomination process is OPEN! Apply before July 25th, 2022
The Canada Innovation & Entrepreneurship Awards – the CANIE Awards – is our flagship program, celebrating excellence in Canadian innovation and entrepreneurship by founders and innovators who are members of under-represented communities.
This year four semi-finalists will be selected from each category. Each semi-finalist will receive a professionally produced business promotion video to aid with business development. The Award winner for each category will receive a $10,000 cash prize! All semi-finalists and winners will be celebrated regionally and nationally at our 2022 CANIE Awards virtual gala, airing in November 2022.
2022 CANIE Awards Phase Two Categories
The 2022 Veteran Entrepreneur of the Year Award (Presented by Prince’s Trust Canada) – A celebration of excellence and outstanding achievement in entrepreneurship. Eligible applicants: any former member of the Canadian Armed Forces who was released with an honourable discharge and who successfully underwent basic training.
The 2022 Indigenous Entrepreneur of the Year Award (Presented by Intuit) – Celebrating visionary entrepreneurship and innovation.
The 2022 Black Entrepreneur of the Year Award – For distinction in innovation and business stewardship
Help us spread the word! Do you know a talented founder or innovator worthy of celebration? Let them know about this amazing opportunity to be celebrated and promoted!
If you have any questions about the 2022 CANIE Award nomination and application process, please reach out to us at email@example.com.
Announcing the 2022 CANIE Award Phase One Semi-finalists
We are proud to announce our Phase One 2022 CANIE Award category semi-finalists!
Of the hundreds of inspiring applications we received, each of the semi-finalists were stand-outs in social innovation, community leadership, and resilience in business. Check out each of our semi-finalists and their businesses.
Award 1 – Seniorpreneur Award for Leadership & Innovation
Presented by Arthur J.E. Child Foundation
Marcia Nozick – Eastside Movement for Business and Economic Renewal Society (EMBERS)
Abeda Oturkar – PaperSpree
Jeanette Martin – Music in Motion
Helen Hirsh Spence – Top Sixty Over Sixty
Congratulations to all of our Phase One 2022 CANIE Award Semi-finalists. We look forward to providing much more detail on each entrepreneur’s inspiring stories and their businesses over the coming months.
Supporting Canadian Businesses During 2022’s Supply Chain Challenges, by UPS
As we begin to recover from COVID-19’s impacts on the global economy, inventory shortages and delivery delays continue to negatively affect the supply chain around the world. And it’s on the minds of Canadian business owners: UPS surveyed 111 Canadian SMBs to better understand their ongoing concerns around growth. In 2022, ongoing COVID-19 impacts placed disruption in the supply chain as the top concern for most businesses.
Source: UPS Canada
Given the ongoing challenges in the supply chain around the globe, what is the outlook and how can you be prepared for the rest of 2022?
- Success Depends on a Good Plan Demand is at an all-time high, and supply is struggling to keep up. Develop a supply chain plan 2-3 months ahead of time, and make sure to communicate that plan clearly to your employees, suppliers, and transportation service providers. Bolster inventory levels as much as possible, and account for continued lengthy transportation times to receive your shipments.
- Teamwork Makes the Dream Work Make sure to educate and engage parties at every stage of your process: ordering, manufacturing, shipping, etc. In addition, clear and transparent communication can encourage ideas and solutions and may reduce friction when last-minute changes are necessary.
- Progress Takes Time Though we continue to see near-record numbers of ships anchored outside key ports around the globe, we’ve seen moderate improvements in some areas. For instance, congestion at the Port of Shanghai was in early June 2022 returning to levels seen before the COVID-19 lockdowns.
- Data is King Investment in data analytics is critical. More planning and forecasting will allow businesses to consider inventory management for potential future states and build flexible plans to address potential issues that may arise.
- Rate Reductions aren’t in the Forecast High demand, growing fuel costs, labour shortages, and various other circumstances may continue to affect shipping rates across all modes and lanes.
- Capacity will Continue to Cause Headaches With growth in the forecast for both air and ocean volumes, companies may continue to struggle to find space to ship their goods. But infrastructure investments are beginning to pay off: in May 2022, the air cargo market saw a 4% increase in capacity and a 7% drop in demand compared with May 2021.
- Prepare to be Flexible and Consider Alternate Shipping Options to Keep Freight Moving. Our supply chain design and planning services will help you create the supply chain you need to bring out the best in your company. Our designers and engineers will go beyond the abstract and produce a plan that will leverage the unmatched scope of UPS logistics capabilities to benefit your business.
UPS Supply Chain Design and Planning Services can help your business thrive in today’s increasingly complex global marketplace, and UPS can help you save with our Small Business program where you can enjoy savings up to 50% on shipping and get support from a Small Business Ambassador. Click here to learn more.
Thank You for Your Support During The Great Canadian Giving Challenge
We are so grateful for the incredible generosity our network demonstrated in supporting us in The Great Canadian Giving Challenge, sponsored by CanadaHelps.org.
Thanks to your generous donations, our June donations were more than seven times larger than typical months. All donations are injected into the programs we offer to support founders and innovators from under-represented groups as they navigate the unfair barriers of institutional, structural, and interpersonal biases.
Hot Girl Summer Self-Defence Event, Greater Toronto Area
We are thrilled to share details on this event hosted by Cupid’s Sting.
Cupid’s Sting and its founder, Dr. Laurie Samuel, are one of our CANIE Micro-grant winners and a CANIE 2022 Global Impact Business Owner of the Year semi-finalist!
The event is designed to bring women together to connect, develop a sense of community, have fun, and learn self-defence. Tickets for one or both of the events can be purchased here.
Thank you to our Partners & Sponsors
Innovators & Entrepreneurs Foundation 2022 CANIE Awards, presented in partnership with UPS.